COVID-19: Affected Town Services
The Town of Fort Frances is implementing the following actions with a focus on maintaining operational continuity of essential services during this period:
- All Town facilities are closed to the general public until further notice. We will be reassessing this on a regular basis.
- All public meetings have been cancelled until further notice, including: Council, Executive and Advisory Committee Meetings.
- The Town will continue to maintain all essential services. Read more about Operations and Facilities Service Changes.
Changes to Specific Town Services
- The Civic Centre is closed to the public.
- Residents wishing to communicate with Town staff may call 807-274-5323 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM from Monday to Friday.
- Residents wishing to make payments can use online services or deposit their payments in the drop box located at the front entrance of the Civic Centre.
Memorial Sports Center
- The Memorial Sports Centre is closed to the public.
- Tennis courts are open.
- All gym memberships have been suspended. The time of suspension has been added to the end of each user's original membership date so they do not lose any membership time. Monthly payment plan fees are still being withdrawn.
- Spring 2020 swimming lessons and fitness classes may continue if the Memorial Sports Centre opens by April 21, 2020. Refunds will be issued if the Memorial Sports Centre does not re-open in time.
Sorting Gap Marina
- The Sorting Gap Marina & McIrvine Boat Launches are open.
- Dock Slip rentals are available on the ActiveNet site under the Spring 2020 season.
Museum, Library, Senior Center, Sunny Cove Camp
- These facilities are all closed to the public.
Public Works Office
- The Public Works Office is closed to the public.
Water and Sewer
- All in-building work (such as plugged sewers) has been suspended.
- Citizen’s are urged to not flush anything except for human waste and toilet paper down toilets. Wipes are not flushable!
- The Landfill is open.
- Cash is not being accepted at the Landfill. The scale shack accepts credit and debit and has tap to pay.
- Citizens are expected to practice physical distancing when out of their vehicles and dumping garbage into the landfill.
- All park equipment, beaches and the Point Park campground are closed to the public.
- Picnic areas in parks are open.
- All green spaces are open for walkthrough access.
- Burials are suspended for the spring melt until the cemeteries dry up enough to safely complete internments. An exception to this is for any confirmed deaths due specifically to COVID-19, which will be interred as soon as possible.
- The Fort Frances Airport Terminal is closed to the public, other than those arriving or departing by aircraft.
- Operating hours have not changed.
- Airfield maintenance services are being completed as usual, including aircraft fueling.
Effective March 31st, 2020 a Provincial Order was made under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA) and issued by the Province of Ontario, which ordered the closure of all outdoor recreational amenities until further notice.
As per the Ministerial Letter on April 4th, 2020, the following outdoor recreational amenities are closed:
- Point Park (1301 Calder Drive)
- Lion’s Park (901-921 Second Street East)
- Legion Park (520 Lillie Avenue)
- Front Street/Butler Avenue Park (207 Butler Avenue)
- Sixth Street East/Phair Avenue Park
- Lillie Avenue North Park
- St. Francis Sports Field – Baseball Diamonds, Tennis Courts, Soccer Fields, Off-Leash Dog Running (675 Flinders Avenue)
- All outdoor rinks
- Sorting Gap Marina (1011 Front Street)
- Fire Lookout Tower (1011 Front Street)
- Hallet (1011 Front Street)
- Front Street Exercise Equipment & Playground (1011 Front Street)
- Skate Park (740 Scott Street (Arena)
- McIrvine Park (1120 Colonization Road West)
- Any other outdoor recreational amenities as defined by the Provincial Order that may not be listed above
Signage has been installed at all Town of Fort Frances outdoor recreational amenities.
Green spaces in parks and trails are open for walk-through access, but individuals must always maintain a physical distance of at least two metres apart from others.
Penalties and severe fines may be enforced under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA) for contraventions including failure to comply with this order.
Town of Fort Frances Orders
The Chief Fire Official has declared a Restricted Fire Zone—Total Fire Ban in the Town of Fort Frances.
This fire ban applies to all open-air fires, including: all fire pits, cook stoves, and campfires that use solid fuels such as wood or charcoal.
Cooking grills & appliances with a mechanical shutoff, such as propane or natural gas cooking equipment, are permitted. Residents of Fort Frances must always use extreme caution when operating these type of cooking grills and appliances.
This fire ban is being implemented as a precautionary measure to limit nonessential calls for service, as well as to avoid any additional strain or exposure risk to the members of our Fire Rescue Service.