Compliance Audit Committee
The purpose of the Compliance Audit Committee is to receive and make decisions on applications for compliance audits of candidate and third party campaign finances in relation to a municipal election and any by-elections during Council's term pursuant to the Act. The powers and functions of the Committee are set out in section 88.33 to 88.37 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
Applying for a Compliance Audit
An elector who is entitled to vote in an election and believes on reasonable grounds that a candidate or third party has contravened a provision of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 relating to election campaign finances, may apply for a compliance audit of the candidate or third party campaign finances.
An application for a compliance audit shall be made to the Clerk within 90 days after March 31, 2023, the financial filing date. This application shall be in writing and shall set out the reasons for the elector's application.
To request a compliance audit of a municipal council candidate (Mayor or Councillor), an elector may contact the Clerk, 320 Portage Avenue, Fort Frances, Ontario, P9A 3P9; phone (807) 274-5323 ext. 1215 to request an application form.
To request a compliance audit of a school board candidate, the application should be sent to the Director of the appropriate school board. Contact information is available on their website.
- Within 30 days after receiving the application, the Compliance Audit Committee (or School Board) will consider the application and decide whether to grant it or reject it. If granted, the committee will appoint an auditor to commence an audit of the candidate's election campaign finances to determine if the candidate complied with the provisions of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
- The decision of the committee may be appealed to the Ontario Court of Justice within 15 days after the decision is made and the court may make any decision the Committee could have made.
- Once the auditor has completed the audit, the auditor will provide a report to the Clerk, who forwards it to the committee, and to the candidate.
- The Town pays the auditor's costs.
- The Committee will consider the report within 30 days of receiving it and determine whether legal proceeding should be commenced against the candidate.
Terms of Reference (PDF) for the Town of Fort Frances Compliance Audit Committee were established by Council on August 13, 2018.